A silly account of one girl and her pals getting back in shape

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - Philipians 4:13



I invite you to join me in the adventure of making healthy choices. I don't care where you are in this walk. You can do it! Really you can. I hope my blog will encourage you along the way. I'm not an extremist. I am not going to have you on an all organic diet. I'm not even anti-ho ho. I'm anti-eating-a-whole-box-of-ho hos-at one setting. I'm not going to encourage you to run a marathon, unless, of course, you want to run one. Then I will cheer for you and loudly. I'm just a normal girl working to love and take care of my God-given body. I will pray for you effortlessly, because that's how easy it is. For now, I am praying you and all readers will be blessed along the way!


Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Can a Ho Ho curb your appetite?


Dinner conversation is always amusing at my house. I try to talk. Scott and Josh try not to take me seriously and point out my faulty thinking. Jesse laughs. Lilly steals my food while all this is going on. Last night was no different as I brought up the interesting topic of eating a piece of fruit before dinner.

Scott and I have been trying to eat healthier. Scott tends to eat few carbohydrates. I tend to cut calories as a whole. But either way this theory I learned from an article my friend shared with me seemed to be a win. She showed me an article which suggests if you eat a piece of fruit before each meal there is something that goes on in your body causing you to be full and thus eat less at the meal. Now I realize at this point my scientific reasons for this were vague and there in lies the problem when sharing the new found information. I guess you could say I went in unarmed w/ good information. My mistake.

I brought this information up as dinner conversation with Scott. I said, "Scott, I don't remember the reason why this works, but in an article, April, shared w/ me it stated if you eat a piece of fruit before each meal, you will then for some chemical reason eat less at the meal because you will feel satisfied sooner." At that point I should have just said, "Let the bantering begin!" for it did.

Josh, who never misses anything I say with flaws, instantly replied, "If you eat anything before your meal you'll be fuller and eat less!" Scott agreed, "He's got you there. Could you eat Ho Ho's before the meal? That would fill you up." The joking went on quite a bit from that point. I finally tried to end the conversation with an exasperated, "Fine, eat Ho Ho's!" still on it went. I think, however, my favorite moment in this conversation was when Lilly ran into her playroom and came running back in delight w/ her stuffed monkey saying "here's Hoho! Her Hoho is a little white monkey character on one of her favorite shows, Ni Hao, Kai-lan. Isn't it obvious, the fun never ends at our dinner table.

So it seems if you have a good tip to share w/ your family and your family likes to point out where there might be flaws in that tip, come prepared w/ the reasoning behind the tip as well. I'm not sure it would have mattered in this family where I, believe it or not, play the straight man to their humor, but it might help my credibility just a bit.

For now, I say eat a piece of fruit before your meal, because that sounds better for you than eat a HoHo or a Hoho before mealtime. But if it's snacktime, I suppose I say eat responsibly and don't over do it. I have no scientific backup information to go with this advice. It's just my theory.

6 comments:

  1. LOL! Well one way to combat their silliness is to tell them that apples have fiber and HoHos don't. But then they might say that they could eat a HoHo and then gnaw on a stick. So then you have to get really technical with them and talk about how apples come with digestive enzymes that help process the sugars in apples properly giving you a boost in energy and then followed with the fiber, which flushes the extra sugars out and creates the full feeling. HoHos can't do that, Scott! :P LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If "filling up" were the only issue, the boys would have you, but the point is that a piece of fruit is both filling (well, that is debatable) AND profitable to the body. Great try, though, Scott! I've always loved your moxie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Mr. Scott...How's this?? *evil grin* HoHos may taste better for the moment but they don't fill you up! :D Oh and we won't mention the fat, diabetes, heart disease, etc that eating too many of those causes... :D (Oops! Looks like I mentioned it anyway....) Hee hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Elena, can anyone eat just one HoHo???? I mean, think about it... They come in twos as it is! See....they don't fill you up :P LOL! But Scott does have awesome moxie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. he does have awesome moxie girls, and you have great points even if i, too, struggle to stop at one piece of fruit being enough to curb my appetite - but all this said you should know this ground breaking info. After the Ho Ho debate - I went to the grocery store. Josh said, "Pick up some Ho Ho's I'm craving them now." So I did - and we both were shocked - they package them as one now! What's up w/ the Universe?!

    ReplyDelete