A silly account of one girl and her pals getting back in shape

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - Philipians 4:13



I invite you to join me in the adventure of making healthy choices. I don't care where you are in this walk. You can do it! Really you can. I hope my blog will encourage you along the way. I'm not an extremist. I am not going to have you on an all organic diet. I'm not even anti-ho ho. I'm anti-eating-a-whole-box-of-ho hos-at one setting. I'm not going to encourage you to run a marathon, unless, of course, you want to run one. Then I will cheer for you and loudly. I'm just a normal girl working to love and take care of my God-given body. I will pray for you effortlessly, because that's how easy it is. For now, I am praying you and all readers will be blessed along the way!


Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Most Unconventional Workout . . . Cleaning up Dog Poop

You heard me right. Yesterday my workout came in a most unusual package. I had planned to go out for a walk, but that plan got botched when I realized we needed an early dinner due to an early evening meeting for Scott. Seeing there was not enough time to go out for a walk yet still wanting to get Lilly and I outside for a bit, I decided we would go outside to try out a new present Scott brought home for the family, a pooper scooper. A very nice one I might add. Yep. My workout was scooping poop.

If you say this isn't a workout, you're wrong. You've obviously not seen a spring thaw after a winter w/ lots of snow on the ground. I don't know what I thought was happening out there. Perhaps on some level I thought the snow was causing the dog waste to disintegrate into the ground and would be gone by spring. Well, just in case you're unaware and have a dog and the snow hasn't melted yet, that is not what happens. I deserve some kind of break for my confused thinking because for the last 8 years dog waste has simply dried out and gone away. Not the case here. Apparently what happens is it is kept on ice until the big thaw so we don't have to miss out on the clean up job. But enough about that and more about the workout.

Lilly and I both felt the need to get outside and breath in the fresh air and so I decided it was a good time to be the first one to use the new deluxe pooper scooper. It's so deluxe for half a second I thought maybe I could be the new neighborhood Pet Valet. In Westerville, Ohio we had a man called the Pet Valet, a retired man who used to come once a week and scoop our dog poop for money. No worries, early into the job that thought passed, for I preferred paying the Pet Valet much more than being the Pet Valet. But alas, I'm a stay at home mom now so I will continue to do this job myself.

This job took a half hour, involved a lot of lifting (arms) and going back and forth to the trash can (endurance training), jumping out of the way of flying poop when I flung too hard (aerobic) and yelling Lilly "don't walk in the dog poop", much like a mom saying "don't touch anything!" in the public restroom (vocal strengthening). So it may be unconventional. It may be slighty unusual. And it may not be my favorite type of workout. But I assure you, it was a workout.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah Julie! I am going to try and get on board - I actually did a workout on our on demand cable last week (some crazy disco thing, but it was fun and I sweated!) Yesterday I started to rake the yucky branches/leaves/winter residue in our yard, today hope to finish. Thanks for the inspiration as always! Love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you! You see - like me you did an unconventional workout, but it's all about moving your groove thing! Love you, too! Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete