A silly account of one girl and her pals getting back in shape

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - Philipians 4:13



I invite you to join me in the adventure of making healthy choices. I don't care where you are in this walk. You can do it! Really you can. I hope my blog will encourage you along the way. I'm not an extremist. I am not going to have you on an all organic diet. I'm not even anti-ho ho. I'm anti-eating-a-whole-box-of-ho hos-at one setting. I'm not going to encourage you to run a marathon, unless, of course, you want to run one. Then I will cheer for you and loudly. I'm just a normal girl working to love and take care of my God-given body. I will pray for you effortlessly, because that's how easy it is. For now, I am praying you and all readers will be blessed along the way!


Thursday, March 4, 2010

It always comes back to carrots

Just the other day I posted on facebook. "Carrots for for a snack . . . yum . . . do you hear the sarcasm from here." This got me 33 responses. Some cheering on the carrot. Others sharing other snack ideas not quite as healthy as the carrot.

I have a friend who eats baby carrots everyday as a mid-morning snack. She actually enjoys it. And she herself mentioned one of her friends eats them in place of chips. In places of chips! And they had two friends and so on and so on. And I get it, but it's never completely kept me from eating something I craved more. It's never completely sastified my hunger or my craving. It does keep me busy, so I'll give it points for that. But it never ever satisfies me like say, some homemade cookies might. I did, however, learn a tip the other day that helped. HUMMUS! Yes, someone suggested Hummus and I could hear the singing in my head! Hummus my new answer for making carrots fun yet keeping them healthy.

With the new hummus idea in mind I realized perhaps baby carrots are for me as well. I mean, it's not like when we were kids and had to actually cut the regular carrots up. No, with baby carrots on the market we can be lazy! All we must do is open the bag. And it helps that my little Lilly loves eating them. My little encourager. Surely I must be missing something great about them.

So the last two days as I determined, perhaps out of my cheapness not wanting to waste them, to give carrots a chance. So I've been eating my baby carrots, keeping hummus near by if I need it to rescue me. But I'm mighty proud to say, I've enjoyed them and they have in fact curbed my appetite. I am three days into eating better and the feelings that come along with doing something good for myself.

I left for church last night for our Wednesday night teaching feeling really good about my wise food choices and how little I had craved other snacks for the day. However,in my forgetfulness as we ran out the door, I left the bag out on a table in the living room. We came home to learn that one or both of our dogs is also watching their waistline. The bag of carrots Lilly and I had left on the table was destroyed. They didn't eat them all, but it seems they tasted and had a little gnaw on most of them. Perhaps going from carrot to carrot to see if the next one tasted better. Seems my dogs are skeptics as well. Perhaps next time I need to leave them a little hummus for dipping.

Give carrots and hummus a try. As I tell my kids. You might like them.

2 comments:

  1. hysterical Juls!! I am not a carrot fan, but who knows with hummus.. of course that would mean I need to buy some or learn how to make hummus.. I wouldn't even know where to look for it in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they sell hummus usually in the deli area. And they sell lots of yummy flavors. I prefer to eat celery, but the baby carrots are just so darn convenient. Oh, or try some sugar snap peas. delicious.

    ReplyDelete